Kari A. Korkow
Hello to all! Bryonna reminded me this morning that she had posted quite a few reviews already, while I have yet to participate. I assured her that I would catch up as best as I could today. However, it seemed better to start with why I am here - what I am doing.

Just before New Years, I saw one of my cousin's Facebook status. She had set a goal for herself to read 20 books before the years end. She was unsuccessful in her quest, to her dismay. It made me consider my own place in the world, what I am doing with my free time (since I have quite a bit of it these days). 

When I was younger, I would stay up to all hours of the night, sometimes not even sleeping just so I could to finish the book. It's not uncommon among bookworms; my mother was the same way. Lucky thing or I would have been in a lot more trouble when growing up. Now that I am treading on the edges of adulthood (who decided you can't be 28 a few birthdays in a row?!), it seems that I am reading less and less with that enthusiasm. I take a few weeks with books, and usually they are the same ones over and over. In part, that was because my funds are limited and my access to the library is even more limited.

However, it was just easier in the long run. 

So (back to the topic at hand), I realized that I was slacking on my reading duties. (Yes, it is a duty that all people read when they can. If you completely disagree, then you should not be reading this.) Not only is reading entertaining, it is quite educational - between improving our vocabulary and stretching our imagination - and, in the long run, it can be a great stress reliever. Get out of the world of screaming kids, hot kitchens, unhappy bosses/customers; instead you can find a place on a long wagon train across the prairie or practice potions in a watery dungeon or soar the skies on a flying white horse. What could be more freeing than flying on an actual horse...

Okay, yeah, if a 747 is bearing down on you and Pegasus, it's not quite the lark but there's still some excitement to get your blood pumping!

This is where my own New Year's Resolution comes in - 40 in '14 (kinda catchy, right)? The one thing I had to decide was that any books that I have already read will not count for the quota. (The first one I am going to review I have read but, to be honest, I did not remember a single bit of it - since my last read through was quite a while ago and this was so I could read the third and final in the series.) This means any books I have to reread in the future for the same reasons (catch up with a series before reading the new one), do not count. It just seemed if I wanted to actually make it a challenge, repeats just wouldn't present such. I have found that after I have read a book a few times, I can skim through at the speed of light - hence the ruling.

So here I am, sixteen days into my new goal, and I am already up two books, and halfway through my third for the month. Before I head to bed tonight, I will make sure to put up those two reviews for you to read. I just thought that jumping right in would seem a bit odd. I would just like to inspire the readers out there to challenge themselves! Books are amazing and, despite the mixed feelings about mad scientists and droning college professors, you can never really read or know enough.


0 Responses

Post a Comment