Unknown
I can't tell you how many times I've been reading reviews on new authors who I might be interested in and they are given 1 star with a review that reads:  "I loved this book, it was wonderful.  It was just too short."  My thought is:  Oh my God, did you just give a one star review to a book you thought was wonderful?

There are times when I don't think people realize just how important a book review is to an author.  This really does affect their sells.  That is why, if I love a book, I go and give it a review on amazon, goodreads and Barnes & Noble.  After I've finished, I'll scroll through a few pages and make sure there are no trolls out there.  I hate trolls.  They give 1 star reviews for nothing.  A lot of them even write 'Trolling' in the description.  So I report them and hope the website will take care of it.

But let's talk about reviews.  I'm not claiming to be a review expert here, but I do have some knowledge of reviews I don't think others have considered.
Haywood Smith

I'm going to quote author Haywood Smith on this because I think what she says on the subject is perfect:  "If you love my book, please, review me.  Shout it from the rooftops, tell everyone you know.  If you hated my book, please, be kind and keep it to yourself."

People always laugh when she says this but its more because its humor out of truth.  A bad review could kill sells and just because you didn't like a book doesn't mean someone else wouldn't.

I always bare this in mind when speaking about authors I don't care for.  My turn of phrase is always, "She's not my cup of tea."  When it comes down to it, you can be the juiciest, sweetest peach in the basket but you're still going to find someone who doesn't like peaches.

So if you hated a book, don't review it.  Be kind to the author. This is their career you're messing with. If there was something that truly bothered you in it, write to them. If they got information wrong, tell them. They might wince but they will always remember that wrong information and make a note. They'll change it.

If you see someone has trolled that author, report it. I seriously hate trolling. Its pointless and they just do it to be mean.

***Stars***

When giving stars in your reviews, always remember that these DO have meaning to other people.

*****1 Star Review - I absolutely HATED this.  Horrible experience.
*****2 Star Review - I really didn't care for this book at all...
*****3 Star Review - I liked it okay but I don't think I'd recommend this book to anyone.
*****4 Star Review - I really enjoyed this book.  You should read.
*****5 Star Review - I loved this book and will likely read it again.  You HAVE to read this book!


Does that put things a little more in perspective?  Is this what its always meant to you?  When you think about it, how many books have you bought and read with three stars or less in their reviews?

When writing up your review, remember not to give spoilers.  If you do, at least give a warning first.

Most people will do something simple like:  "Cute, funny, light hearted read" or whatever line might describe the book in one sentence.

I tend to give more detailed reviews, trying to at least mention the first really good hook that drew me into the story, hoping it'll draw others in as well.

If you read a story and it was too short for you but you loved it, don't give it 1 star.  Give it 4 or, if the length really bothered you, at least give it a 3.  I try not to review anything I felt deserved less than 4 stars.

Be kind to us writers.  Writing is a lot harder than people think it is.  Remember, just because that particular book wasn't your cup of tea doesn't mean it won't be someone else's.  By giving them that horrible review, you taint that book for everyone else. 
1 Response
  1. I agree with your assessment and wish there was some way to make readers understand how much their reviews impact us and our sales. There will always be mean people in the world. I just ignore them when looking at reviews as a customer. Unfortunately, not everyone is so discerning.

    One thing that gets me is seeing review after review - often of a free work - which slams the work for being short (Hey, I've even gotten them.) even though either the title or description clearly says the work is a short story and the pg count is given as well. Obviously, the author has tried to inform the customer what they're getting, and they still get slammed.

    I don't get it.


Post a Comment